Friday, May 04, 2007

Blog Bits

As a young teacher in 1979, I was introduced to Mr. Richard Benefiel. I developed an immediate respect for the man, not because he demanded it, but because of what he stood for. Rigidly organized, a strict disciplinarian, but most importantly his students could play music and the loved every minute of every song. He rarely smiled, but when he did, his students knew that they had played the piece to perfection. From his marching shows at football games, to his jazz bands, and to the Big Red Band Variety Show, everyone in town knew that when Mr. Benefiel took the podium, he stood for excellence.

When I heard that he had passed away, I was deeply saddened. Plymouth has lost one of the finest teachers to have ever graced our classrooms. I'm going to the Variety Show this weekend and had planned to all along. It's what you do in Plymouth on the first weekend in May. And when the overture sounds and the lights come alive, there will be a smile on my face in the back of the darkened house. Not just because my two children are in the show, but the evening promises to bring back great memories of Mr. Richard Benefiel. A good friend, a fine father, and a tremendous teacher. We're going to miss you, Dick. We're going to miss you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hillary (Van Gilder) Hopple said:

I was very fortunate to have Mr. Benefiel as a teacher. I have great memories from those times in band. I think of those memories often. Mr. B made us feel like one big family, which we were.

He will truly be missed!

Anonymous said...

I have nothing more to say than has already been said, but I wanted to honor him here as well. So long, Mr. B!!!

Anonymous said...

Paula Neidlinger-

Thank you to all that have sent cards and flowers to our family throughout the past two weeks. I'm not sure my dad realized the impact he had on so many young people.
I appreciate all of the notes, of special memories from the past, that we have received from everyone.
Thank you again to everyone!

Paula